Monday, April 12, 2010

Gold Award Focuses on Sports Medicine

Katherine’s Gold Award project addressed the need for an on-site first-aider at all Hope Christian School (HCS) sporting events. A second objective was to give HCS students the opportunity to learn more about careers in the field of athletic training. She worked with the athletic director of the school to plan a one-day clinic to get sports department staff certified in American Red Cross First Aid and CPR. Katie also helped implement a mandate for the school’s bylaws that an on-site first aider be required at all 2010 HCS-sponsored sporting events. In addition, she solicited the donation of several first aid kits from a local healthcare organization and a significant amount of first aid supplies that will go towards more kits for the school. As a result of her project, Katie decided to become an athletic trainer herself. “I learned that I do my best work, in school and my personal life, when I always have something to do to fill my time,” she revealed.

Katie is currently a freshman at the University of West Alabama, and is the daughter of Pamela and Bill of Jemison.