Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Gold Awardee Addresses Childhood Obesity

Courtney earned her Gold Award by addressing the growing issue of childhood obesity. The goal of her project was to educate the community on the importance of developing healthy eating habits at an early age. After thoroughly researching the topic, she created a presentation to give at different community events and also created a cookbook with healthy recipes for all ages. Courtney’s presentation included information about healthy eating, proper food storage, portion size, vitamins and minerals, and proper cooking temperatures. In addition, she utilized age-appropriate materials such as coloring books to teach younger children about nutrition in a fun way. “I learned to adopt healthier eating habits for myself as well, so I could serve as an example for my project,” shared Courtney. “I also learned how to set goals, rise to the challenge, and that I could achieve anything if I set my mind to it.”

Courtney is a senior at Oak Mountain High School and the daughter of Arthur and Judy of Birmingham.