Friday, April 29, 2011

Relief Efforts for Alabama Tornado Survivors

The Girl Scouts of North-Central Alabama is deeply saddened by the devastation in our communities from the tornadoes that ripped through our area on Wednesday, April 27. Our properties and offices have weathered the storm with no damage, and just a couple of power outages. While our Council and staff (although some families sustained losses) were fortunate, many others have lost everything and people have asked what Girl Scouts can do to help. We have put together the following list of items that can be delivered the Salvation Army and other ways to help.
  • New underwear, new socks
  • Personal care items (shampoo, toothbrushes, toothpaste, feminine products, toilet paper, Gold bond powder, Diabetic Socks, Fixodent cream, men's briefs)
  • Flashlights, batteries, can openers
  • First-aid kits
  • Baby items (diapers, wipes, formula, non-perishable baby food)
  • Storage tubs/luggage
  • Non-perishable food items, including bottled water
  • Polls of plastic, tarps
  • Gas, Coleman stoves & fuel, lamp oil, kerosene
  • Mops, brooms
  • Pillows, towels, wash cloths
  • Bug spray
  • Chainsaws. chainsaw oil
  • Work gloves
  • Tents, cots
  • Paper goods (plates, utensils, napkins)
The Salvation Army has requested physical items be directed to the following (If there are additional, non-denominational, relief efforts in your area you'd like to include in this list, please email name, address and phone to

Salvation Army Drop-Off Location
Belk Activity Center
2101 Bower Park Drive
Tuscaloosa, AL 35405

Salvation Army Drop-Off Location
350 Industrial Drive
Birmingham, AL 35211

To contact your local Salvation Army, visit and type in your zip code. If you would like to donate pet items, please contact your local humane society.

Other drop-off points include:

Millport, AL
606 Burgess Rd.
Millport, AL 35576

Hardin Chapel Church
7704 AL Highway 144
Ragland, AL 35131-3541
(205) 472-3116

Also, if you are a member of the Girl Scout family, and are in need, please contact your local Community Development Manager.